Monday, October 25, 2010

I remember the doctor commenting on how much hair Georgia had when she was born and it dawned on me in that moment... I had never considered if my newborn baby would have hair or not. I'd prayed for a healthy baby, studied the ultrasound pictures for features of Brian or mine and definitely wondered if my very strong premonition that this baby was a girl was right.. but never hair.

There have been a lot of comments about the color of Georgia's hair... born with dark brown hair just like her daddy.. would it stay this way? Over the months is has lightened up, had orange and reddish highlights and is now settling into a beautiful silky warm blond.

Chemotherapy kills rapidly dividing cells, cancer cells... hair cells. I asked before treatment started when I should expect her hair to fall out and they said two to three weeks, basically shortly after chemo ends.

Right now Georgia hasn't lost as much as a strand of hair but I know it's coming and it scares me.. my sick girl who looks healthy is going to look sick but be getting healthy? I know it will grow back and that in the big scheme of things hair is far from a big deal but it is one of those tell tale signs that she is battling cancer. For how much I want to get out of here I think it will be good to transition to that time here amongst people who won't be staring at her or making me feel like she stands out.

Chemo ends on Friday.. then the waiting game begins, we wait for her blood cell counts to drop then recover, typically this takes about three weeks. Georgia is doing amazing, she is crawling again and really using her leg which is such a good sign. Here spirits are high and was told today that she should be a beauty queen because she has the wave down... literally waving to everyone she saw today.



4 comments:

  1. That sweet face makes me smile every time I see it. She's such a beauty. She gets her overwhelming strength and energy from you. You're a true treasure and an amazing mother. Sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable little girl! I think of you three often and can't even come close to imagining what this journey must be like for you. Praying for strength and peace and healing for baby G. Wish we were in Seattle for this coming weekend to show our support at the walk/run for Georgia. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair thing is no biggy... there are some babies who have no hair till they are around a year old. This is winter! The time of adorable hats and scarves! I say we all get/make Georgia a new hat for winter! Her eyes are what always amaze me. They are so blue and so intelligent! She misses NOTHING going on around her. Well... her cheeks too.. I just want to squeeze those adorable cheeks!!! oh... and her toes... Ok Ok... so everything about your daughter is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at that little face. she is such a doll!!!! love her and have never met her but feel like I know her. Her personality just shines. xoxox

    ReplyDelete