Monday, October 18, 2010

For the fifth time in just under two weeks I walked my Georgia girl into an operating room and held her until the anaesthesia took effect and she was asleep.. I laid her down on the table and walked away. Every time I have had to leave her I tell her how much we love her and that everyone in the room will take very good care of her.. I tell her she is going to do a great job and that her Grandma Claudia will stay in the room with her.
Today Georgia had a second biopsy of her leg tumor, they need more tissue to be able to track her progress appropriately. It's funny, we've signed so many consent forms for them to use what every tissue, bone marrow, etc is left over for research yet every time they come back to us and say they need more. Georgia also started chemotherapy today.. we thought it would be tomorrow but this first dose is done through a spinal tap. Apparently leukemia can hide out in your spinal fluid so although hers has tested negative they still say that it is necessary. They started it today so that she would only have to be sedated once for two procedures. I don't know how I feel about having started chemo, it is a word that I hate and quite frankly think of as a bad thing.. I am working on changing my mindset to chemo is medicine.. medicine that is going to make my baby better.
Chemotherapy is harsh, she will be getting three different types over the next 10 days. The goal is to get it in, attack the tumor then flush the rest out.. Georgia gets a liter of IV fluid a day to keep things flushing which means a lot of diaper changes. Chemo is secreted through the urine so they want you to change diapers every two hours so it doesn't sit on her skin.. I now have to wear gloves when I change her diaper (or if she throws up) to avoid getting chemo on me.
In our true fashion we weren't going to go into this with our heads low. . just before heading off to the operating room we listened to a little music to get pumped up (thank you Jody!) ... we kicked things off with the Rocky theme song, then Eye of the Tiger and We Will Rock You.. watch out cancer.. it's time to move out, you're not welcome here anymore!


I'll show YOU whose boss!




4 comments:

  1. Go get 'em G!! Let 'em have it, sister. You have always been a spirited fighter.
    YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl . . . show them who's boss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your positive spirit! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go get 'em! {hugs} from Whidbey!

    ReplyDelete