Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"I have never seen it take this long to get test results" is what I was told by a second year resident yesterday. They are doing studies on Georgia's DNA to get to the bottom of this but the picture is becoming clearer. By last night we were told that although the final pathology results are pending they are almost certain that we are looking at Leukemia..that is the first time I have typed that word and my hands are shaking. The next step is to figure out what type, they have narrowed that field to two and will need to do further testing to determine the next steps. The treatments are vastly different for these two. We have been told to anticipate being in the hospital for the next month.

Even with narrowing to two she is still puzzling the doctors and they have reached out to other experts around the world to see if anyone else has seen the combination of symptoms that Georgia is presenting. Tomorrow there will be another bone marrow draw, Thursday they are going to put in a Hickman catheter and we are hearing that likely Friday she will start chemotherapy. There is also a good possibility that we are going to need to do a bone marrow transplant. Because Georgia doesn't have a sibling they will go to the world donor bank to try and find a match. Unfortunately family isn't usually a good match. The future also will likely hold blood transfusions, we have started to encourage people to donate blood - you can't donate specifically for Georgia but it will help.
My heart is broken.

16 comments:

  1. Georgia baby & family- we're sending you love! We're all just waiting to do what we can to help. Know that you have an army behind you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Handsaker family.. let us know if we can be tested to donate bone marrow. I would happily get tested for a match!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! Let us know if we can be tested for a bone marrow match! I'm sending all positive thoughts your way. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, I am so sorry for your news. But at least they are giving you answers and are a step closer to starting treatment and beginning the fight. The strength of children is amazing and with the army of support Georgia has behind her to help her fight, she is all set to beat this. Stay strong. You, Brian and Georgia will be in my thoughts every minute until this is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to know that Barry and I, our families and lots of friends are all praying for Georgia girl every day, and you and Brian too. Hang in there. It may be of little comfort, but the SCCA pioneered the bone marrow transplant, and are the best in the world at it. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say, but I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison, you are the most amazing mom and Georgia is beyond lucky to have you in her corner to help her win this battle. You are one step closer to treatment and one step closer to a cure. Let us know if and when we can donate. Do they let kids donate? If so Madi and Emma are ready to step in line to help Baby G. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Brian and Georgia all day, every day. XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison,Brian, and baby G- I just shared your blog on my wall in hopes for more prayers and positive thoughts. I also will be donating blood and wonder if you would like any one to be tested for marrow matches. Ihope it was OK to share , if not letme know and I will take it down. Thinking of you and checking for updates often, my mom sends her love to you Alison as well. She remembers you as such a sweet girl when we were growing up ( I'm sure much like Georgia)Emily and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Alison! My heart is breaking for you and your family and baby G! I wish that I could offer more than prayers for you and your family, but I will continue to pray as long as it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so hard to type out feelings and emotions you cannot express. ANYTHING you need, PLEASE let me know. I will be there. I have never donated anything but cash in the past but for Georgia and you two? I am there. I will be happy to test.
    This whole time I have been saying the C word and the L word but had not actually faced it until I read your blog update. I just want my wonderful neighbor family back home where they belong happy and healthy. I miss you all so much! I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard about your sweet little girl last week and have praying ever since. We have a few mutual friends and just this morning I recieved a prayer request from another friend for you guys and your blog. I would also like to know how to be tested for a match. You family will continue to be in my prayers and I am trusting for God's healing hand to be upon Georgia. Prayers of comfort and peace for you and your husband. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are in our prayers. I am so sorry :( I wish there were words to help comfort you. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gobs of love and support your way

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't know me, but my cousin shared your blog with me last night. I can't help but sob as I read through your posts and see the pictures of your precious Georgia. Know that my prayers are with you!! I will pray for healing in your baby girl's little body, wisdom for the medical staff and for the three of you to feel His love wrap around you as you go through this journey together. You seem like incredible parents. I admire your fighting spirit and your honest cry for help. Know that so many people love you...many you've never met!! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the previous poster...we've never met. My sister-in-law shared Georgia's story. You would probably be amazed to know all the people out there that are thinking of your baby girl and praying for her. It's a powerful thing and Seattle Children's is the best place she could be. Stay strong. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete