Saturday, November 6, 2010

This has been a tough week, Georgia has done beautifully, it's me who has been on an emotional roller coaster. Between being frustrated with the doctors, finding out that I'll need to stop breastfeeding, starting to ween but most of all that my Georgia girl is losing her hair. With the bad has come some good, Georgia will now let me pull her to stand, something she stopped shortly before all of this started. She has been happy as a clam all week, putting weight on her left leg, climbing all over the place and has literally started jumping.
This week has had moments that I will treasure forever - Georgia kissing her baby doll, the sheer pride on her face when she has pulled up to stand and when I ask her where her balloons are she looks and points at them.
Watching her lose her hair is hard to explain, logically I know that it's just hair, it will grow back and that it means the chemo is working.. emotionally it's a whole different story, something that I can't totally explain. I know that once all of her hair is gone I will get use to it and she will still be my beautiful girl but there is a reality that comes with seeing all of this happen. Part of me still expects the doctors to come in here and say this has all been a terrible mistake. I know we are getting closer to transplant which scares the hell out of me and I know things will be much harder than what we've been through so far.
The goal of the chemotherapy that Georgia was on is to bring her ANC blood level to zero then slowly her body will start to build new ANC cells, the doctor said to expect her levels to be at zero for about 10 days. Today, the fifth day her ANC has climbed to 20. Two days ago the resident was ready to give Georgia a platelet transfusion because her level was 14 (the threshold is 10) but the attending wanted to hold off... the next day she was at 16 and today, 31.. all on her own. My lovely daughter is simply amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work Alison, thanks for all of the blogs and updates, we really appreciate it.
    Havent been to see that cute little lady bug, as I have been battling a nasty bug of my own. Soon as I am better I will come by for a visit Love to you and yours xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go Strong Georgia!!! She is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete