Tuesday, November 30, 2010

After days of waiting, multiple stain tests and lots of prayers we got the phone call that we were hoping for, the mass on Georgia's leg shows no live tumor cells.. none, zero. Finally some news to celebrate! This confirmation means that our next step is transplant.
This week has been exhausting and it's only Tuesday. Monday we met with the genetics oncologist and a genetic counselor to go over our family history. They want to do one additional genetics test to see if Georgia has a condition that rarely, but sometimes presents with JMML and JXG skin condition that Georgia has. I thought I had become more familiar or maybe just more comfortable with the medical jargon that is thrown around... genetics is another story. We were discussing cells, genes, number and letter sequences which all left my head spinning and I finally asked the genetic counselor... so what are we hoping for here? She pointed to a picture, rattled off something that I would swear was in a foreign language and I just nodded, I decided that I'll ask questions when we have more answers - 6-8 weeks from now.
Tomorrow we have a consultation with the oncology radiologist to discuss the suggestion of radiation as a part of preparation for transplant, Thursday is a consultation with the SCCA to talk about transplant where we'll meet with the pediatrician, nurse and financial consultant.
I am so thankful for the ability to exhale today, feel joyous about something and celebrate, tomorrow it's time to put my game face back on and ask the tough questions and have some scary conversations on a new topic - radiation.

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful update to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear the tumor is history! The next step is a tough one... We are all here for you praying and cheering from the side lines. We are here to listen and ask our own questions... We are here bound by our hopes and love for you and your family! GO GEORGIA!(pom poms optional!)

    ReplyDelete