Friday, January 14, 2011

Today started off really well, we heard the attending say "are you sure we aren't giving this girl a placebo?" as she was smiling at the team during rounds.
This afternoon things changed, Georgia started a new chemo at 1pm and by 1:30 she was sneezing and had red watery eyes... we let the nurse know about the change and within minutes Georgia was hysterical, nothing would calm her down. As a mother all you want it to make any hurt go away from your child but I didn't know what was wrong. They ended up giving her something to calm her down which was a relief in the moment but as a watched her show signs of being somewhat drugged I realized that cuts almost as deep as knowing she was in pain.
One of the team members came and checked her out, by that point she was calm so she was able to get a good look at her. We heard from the nurses and the transplant team something that we are all too familiar with... "we've never seen a reaction like this"... it's no ones fault, it just seems to be where we reside... puzzling.
Georgia has another round of the same tomorrow then we move on to the last one. This process is difficult, as soon as you make it over a hurdle there is a new one right in front of you. Once chemo ends we wait for the potential effects to show up 7-10 days later, by that point we are into our transplant which requires a whole other set of things to look out for. One day at a time turned into one hour today. No doubt that challenges lay ahead, and no doubt that we'll weather the storm.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pulling for all of you and of course you will weather this storm. you are a mom and as moms we weather whatever storm is thrown at us when it has to do with your kids.
    Keep posting and venting and document....we all love to hear what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more day, Done, Kaput, Finis! Sending loving thoughts to Georgia and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love and support your way!!! And now to share a moment I had today: I was in Olympia at my Great Niece's 5th birthday party at a cheesy skating rink when I saw your last post... I had to close my eyes to not tear up. While my eyes were closed I was visualizing not only the JMML being obliterated while the rest of Georgia stays safe but I found myself visualizing Georgia's 5th birthday surrounded by her friends and family getting new Barbies and other toys and everyone singing Happy Birthday to her. When I opened my eyes my Great Niece was standing in front of me and asked me if I was OK... I gave her a hug and told her that I was but that my friends baby was ill and in the hospital. She hugged me really tight and told me that she just knows the baby will be OK. She then fell on her butt and made me laugh. So you see... That JMML is HISTORY! Georgia will be fine. Georgia will have her own Cheesy parties that will frazzle her parents! I love you and am here for you.

    ReplyDelete