Monday, January 10, 2011

Keep up the good work folks... today was a good day! I'll admit yesterday it was really hard coming back here - my heart and my head were swimming in fear, sadness and dread but my gut was calm, I made that my focus as we made our way back to the third floor. I was disappointed that we got a TINY room but we are first on the list for a bigger one. Georgia took about an hour to warm up then she was laying on the charm that all of the nurses were use to. I hate to admit it but I can see that she is happy here - able to be social, see other kids, have visitors all day long, my social girl is eating it up.
Transplant comes with some new not so fun additions... we have to write down everything she eats, she is on more medications but the biggest annoyance is that she has to be weighed in the middle of the night. They want to have her weight by rounds in the morning and for good reason, they are closely monitoring her fluid in take and out put so it's critical that they keep a close eye but for me I'm not gonna lie, it a big pain.
Georgia was really restless last night, keenly aware that we were in a new place, not use to the midnight and 4am vitals and the chatter outside our door. When she got her first dose of chemo this morning I started visualizing it only going where it should and leaving the rest of her little body alone.. I can't tell you how much comfort it brought to know that so many people were doing the same. She gets this type of chemo every six hours so we're half way through our third dose.. fourth one starts at 2am. So far she has done really well, she had a great appetite today, smiled and flirted with the transplant team and had a ball with the nurses. They closely monitored her blood levels today drawing her blood six times between dose one and two... they decided to up the amount of chemo that she gets overnight and will be checking her blood the same way again tomorrow to achieve the right balance for her size and diagnosis.
I know there are going to be good days and bad but one things for sure, I am going to take them one at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember me, my name is Lisa (I'm married to Drake Kellas from your Starbucks days). I recently started following your blog and my mama heart breaks for you and your little one. I wanted you to know that Drake and I are praying for sweet Georgia and your family. I have shared your story with my Bible study group and those ladies are praying as well. Stay strong mama, you're doing great!! I hope that when she is healthy we can meet some day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rock, Alison! And i can just picture your baby girl smoozing with the staff at the hospital. Your visualization is a grand idea, and one that I promise to do daily.
    Rock it, sister Georgia! We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgia we love you and are praying and visualizing and hugging you from afar!! Alison and Brian... I can't say it enough... you two are the greatest parents out there! You rock and all of us out here love you and are here for you always! Georgia is making the best of a horrible situation... isn't it great when we learn from our children? She is teaching all of us about tolerance and how to get through the crazy shit life throws at us! GIANT HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete