Tuesday, January 4, 2011

As Sunday draws closer I find myself enjoying all of the simple things that being home allows for... I really feel how comfortable my mattress is, I make sure to have a beer or glass of wine every night, we're going for a lot of walks and appreciating that I am able to take just a couple of steps between my refrigerator and my kitchen table. It is so hard to believe that three months ago today all of this began. I remember talking to Brian on the way to Children's hospital that day, saying we were going for an xray.. he asked if he should meet us there and I said "by the time you get there we'll be on our way home.." I have never in my life been so blindsided. I think about all that Georgia has been through, how she was hoarse from crying so much, that she had seven different attempts at three IV sites, how our entire world became unrecognizable and words that I had tried hard to forget, words like malignant, chemotherapy and cancer were finding their way back into my life.
As we gear up to go back into the hospital I am trying to put on a brave face for Georgia but instead find myself telling her that just because I'm crying it doesn't mean I don't believe everything is going to be ok - I know it will be.. in the same breath I want to beg my 13 month old daughter for forgiveness, tell her that I am so sorry she has to go through chemotherapy again. I believe, I know with all of my heart and soul that Georgia is going to come through this just fine, she will be healthy again and free from Leukemia... how we have to get there is what I'm scared of.
Tonight we played our "Georgia Dance Music" cd that Grammy made for us... we did lots and lots of twirling... you can't do that when you're hooked up to an IV so we're getting in some extra twirls in now until we can again.

5 comments:

  1. I, like you, believe with all my heart that Georgia will be fine. Yes this journey totally sucks ass! It hurts emotionally for you and Brian and physically for Georgia. These kinds of choices are so difficult. I wish so much that I could take little Georgia's place. I would in heartbeat... just to save her and both of you from all of this insanity and pain.
    Know that we are here for you. Please let me know. you are welcome to call anytime. Even if you just need to vent with included obscenities... I love you all and am praying that this week drags by and the following weeks fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you know what to expect, I imagine the desire to run away to a place where cancer doesn't exist is even stronger than ever. Stay strong mamma, the end is coming. I too know with all my heart that Georgia will SOON be a healthy toddler running circles around you and Brian. I am here to talk, to walk and to meet you in the parking lot with a bottle of wine. I love you and pray for your family every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When this is all over and Georgia is your happy, healthy little girl again, she's going to grow up knowing that she has the most brave, strong and supportive mom a girl could ask for. I know that it's so hard to see any positive aspect of her cancer, but your family is creating a bond so strong and unbreakable. You're all beating this together. Keep twirling Handsakers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alison... my heart just breaks that you guys are going through this. Georgia will be just fine.. we all know it. BUT it still totally sucks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am unable to put myself in your shoes but I cry tears for you, your husband and your sweet daughter. Your posts are so real and so true that its easy to see that you are a wonderful mom and a great support for Georgie. From someone who has never met you.....I admire you for your truth and your vulnerability!

    ReplyDelete