Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day +4

Today is day +4 but that doesn't seem to account for the other 10 that we've been here.. two weeks ago we checked in. Next to Georgia being diagnosed today has been my hardest day at Children's hospital.
Georgia had a really rough night throwing up all night, each time looking at me shaking her head no and saying mama. She doesn't understand what's going on but she doesn't like it. Her voice is raspy and as she is sleeping now I can her the mucositis in her chest. She doesn't have mouth sores right now but they say that mucositis can effect any place along her digestive track and the docs are certain that she has it. The rapidly dividing cells in your digestive track replenish themselves often to keep your gut healthy, after chemo those cells aren't able to do their job. Georgia will have to wait until she engrafts to start that rebuilding process. They have told us that somewhere between day +7-10 is usually the worst so we've got a few days ahead of us.
As if she didn't have enough going on Georgia was biting on her thumb today and I noticed some blood, after a look turns out she has two upper molars coming in... really?
We switched her pain medication so the itching doesn't seem to be a problem but she is still pretty restless. I am hoping for some sleep tonight. Georgia and I share a hospital bed, she is always a cuddler but lately she needs me to be wrapped around her to be able to sleep and if I move she's grabbing for me. Tonight I rocked her as we listened to Ray LaMontange's You are the best thing. I keep telling her that tomorrow will be better, someday soon that promise will be true.
Here are some pictures of hospital life over the past few days...

The gift

If you look closely you can see Georgia's name

Our monstrosity of an IV pole

Georgia during her six hour nap

First ride post transplant on the "Autobahn"

My tan little lady on day +2

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you... I hope you can feel the love from outside those hospital walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More prayers, and loving thoughts, and hopes for good long, restful, healing naps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping and praying and sending love and hugs and emotional strength and more love and anything and everything else you need. She has come throught the majority with no big issues... I thank God she didn't have all of the side effects in the beginning. It would have made suffering them now even harder. She is on the mend. Just have to hang in there a little longer mom and dad... Feel the love of the neighborhood. Feel the love of your friends and family and all of those total strangers following your blog. There are so many people who ask me about her progress every day. XXOXOXOXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you guys daily and so happy to hear that the transplant went well. Things WILL get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a "stranger" that has been following you and your families journey. We have friends that are in common. I worked with Miki at Skyline High School and have been watching her facebook status updates. I finally emailed her because I had to know who Georgia was. I read your blog every day and pray every day for your family and for Georgia little body. I just wanted you to know that we are strangers but we are thinking about you guys daily. Keep up the blog posts because they are healing and are reaching so many different people.

    ReplyDelete