Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year in Review

As we say goodbye to 2012 I can't help but look back at the events of the year, some better than others, but all which have gotten us here to today, for this I am grateful.  For our family, this year has been one about visible forward motion, healing, growth and new experiences.
Georgia's health has continued to improve over the last 12 months, she successfully tapered off of Prednisone and Sirolimus, both on the first attempt which feels miraculous.  She is free from all antibiotics and our only "ah's" as we call them, are supplements.
Yesterday we measured Georgia, our uber accurate stand-against-the-wall-and-mark-it-with-pencil-method is flawless, I'm sure.  Absolute accuracy aside there was no denying she'd grown.  As she stepped away from the wall I marked the line and put the date, then I looked down... we started marking her height on 7/13/11, one year later she had certainly made a jump in height, but looking at it just five months after that, she's almost done the same amount of growing - she's gaining speed. 
Along with height, Georgia, at last check was in the 50th percentile for weight, I can't quite describe how incredible this feels, I remember when I would syringe olive oil into her mouth just to try to put an ounce or two on her.  These days, Georgia likes to talk about what she'll have for breakfast the night before!
With increased health came increased ability to play with friends and neighbors, play dates may be a dime a dozen for some, but they are still an event that bring squeals and jumping up and down with joy at our house.  We attended birthday parties, took a trip to Montana and even participated in two group activities, Lil Kickers and a dance class.
This year has also brought on the ability to look a little further into the future, in just eleven weeks baby Handsaker #2 is due, Georgia can't wait to be a big sister.  Although we don't know the sex of the baby, Georgia is adamant it's a girl.  I go back and fourth, so we spend most of the time talking about how if it isn't a girl it would still be really fun to have a baby brother.
Georgia will hit two years post transplant on January 19th and will be back at the SCCA the following week for several days of tests.  All of this weighs heavy on my heart but for now I'll put it aside.  Tonight as I put Georgia to bed she said, "you're my favorite person, and I'm you're little girl." and with that my year is complete.

Happy New Year, we look forward to 2013 and all that it has to offer.

Here is a look back at some of my favorite photos of 2012....






















 
 

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to you my friend! It is going to be an even better 2013!

    ReplyDelete