Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Twenty-three Months Post Transplant

Today a tradition was carried on.  When my sister was three my mom took her to see the Nutcracker for the first time, as the story goes, she sat still through the whole preformance, completely taken with the show.  Having earned the nickname "wiggle worm," my mom waited to take me until I was five... and I still squirmed through most of the show.  Over the years my mom took both my sister and I, it's such a special memory.
A couple of months ago my sister and I saw tickets to the same acclaimed show on sale, we searched for the right seats and were able to get a second tier box for ourselves, all three kids and Grammy - a great way to see the show, not worry about the kids disturbing people around us and a somewhat "germ-controlled" environment.  As it would be, the show with the right seats, at the right time, fell on December 19th which would be 23 months post transplant for Georgia, how perfect.
Today, all six of us went, three adults, Blake (5), Georgia (3) and Lauren (2 1/2) - the kids all did an amazing job of sitting quietly and actually enjoying the show. 
During the first few minutes of the performance it was all I could do to choak back a few tears, here I am, nearly seven months pregnant, my incredible three year old sitting on my lap at the Nutcracker - 23 month ago I wouldn't have dared to dream it, these such things seemed all but unattainable.  A minute or two later, Georgia turned to me and in a loud whisper said, "Mama..." "Yes?" "I really love you." - and there was the icing on the cake.  She was very cute throughout the performance, at one point asking if she could say hi to the ballerina, I suggested waving instead, she then asked why they weren't waving back to her.  Toward the end, when we were clapping for the individual performances she asked, "mama, next time I clap, (is it) okay to woo?"  Sure enough, when the children dancers finished Georgia started clapping and saying "wooo!"  The rest of the evening was spent talking about pink ballerinas, the big Christmas tree and the little girls in the show. 
I am so thankful that we were able to go today, to carry on a tradiditon that my mom started, although she wasn't there in person something tells me she didn't miss seeing her three grandchildren attend the show.
Happy 23 months post transplant my girl, you continue to amaze me every day.

 Heading to the show

 The first of many ballets for these two beauties
 Ready in her seat
 Lauren & Leslie
 Georgia & Blake
 This was the best I could do for three kids post show

 
After the show, as we were leaving, Georgia was inspired to keep dancing...

No comments:

Post a Comment