Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day +18

I wasn't feeling up to posting anything tonight but happened to click on an old post from back in October - I read through the comments offering prayers, love and positive thoughts and decided I needed to post in hopes that those who read it will send all of that support again.
We are still in the PICU making very little progress - today Georgia's weight and belly measurement were exactly the same. The decision was made to stay the course for now but will soon need to be reevaluated if things don't improve. This afternoon she was fluid positive which means she is taking in (through her IV) more than she is peeing out. The next step would mean surgery to put in ANOTHER central line, this one bigger to support what's called CRRT, Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy, basically dialysis. This would take the pressure off of her kidneys and do some of the work for them pulling her blood out, flushing the fluid off and returning it to her - the theory sounds great, the process and procedure to make it happen are things that I do not want to do.
Life in the PICU is drastically different and more challenging - I can't use the bathroom in our room so I have to go outside the unit, I can't eat in our room which has meant scarfing down some food while Georgia has to stay in the room with either grandparents or a nurse. I am not allowed to use a cell phone except to text all of which make this lonely process all the more isolating. They have one to one nursing so our nurse spends the vast majority of her shift in our room. Sleep was limited on the SCCA floor but with vitals every two hours and constant monitoring it has now become almost obsolete. We took a walk around the unit this evening to get a little change of scenery, clearly not something commonly done up here. I have to say that I did feel thankful to be in our shoes as we passed by rooms with babies hooked up to twice as many IV's as Georgia but by the time we wound up back in our room I allowed myself to say, just because someone else may have a more serious reason to be up here doesn't mean I should take this lightly.
Tomorrow brings a new attending transplant doctor, it's hard to make these changes through such a delicate process. For the last couple of weeks we've had the attending that we'd worked with in the SCCA... ya, ya the former said arrogant ass turned Handsaker family supporter. This afternoon I thanked him for putting up with me, he said, you're her advocate - we certainly made strides in our relationship and thank him for all that he has done for our family.

11 comments:

  1. Hang in there Allison! It's definitely a rough road but you are weathering it with an amazing amount of strength and grace. I know the changing of the docs can be a challenge but here's to hoping a new doc = a new path for little Georgia's body, one with 5 lbs less fluid!

    Emily Camm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison . . . you and Brian are doing such an amazing job. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through but please know that I think about you and your family every single day. I pray daily and ask for strength and healing for Georgia. I have no doubt in my mind that she will get through this I am just so sorry the road to get there has to be so unfair. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison,

    I will certainly include Georgia in my prayers tonight, as well as every night. I want to thank you so much for your posts. I know they are not easy to write. At work, I feel that I am so much more in tune to what patients are going through by hearing about Georgia's journey. I am really focusing on trying to communicate with my patients more and also trying to put myself in their shoes. I think this is something that could really be done better by all healthcare providers. So thankyou for sharing so much. It has affected me greatly. Looking forward to hearing about Georgia's move out of the PICU soon. Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers coming for your sweet Georgia girl!!! Good for you to realize that even though others could be "worse" off...that you are still MORE than entitled to feel sad about how things are. No peanut should have to be going through what Georgia is...and no mommy should either. I pray that things turn around and another surgery is not in her near future!! I believe God works miracles and I am praying for one for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allison-
    Thoughts of fluid leaving Georgia are on my mind and in our prayers. You are an amazing mom and Georgia is an amazing little girl. Keep the positive attitude and we will keep the prayers coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life isn't fair - and what you guys are going through sure puts phrase to the test. I wish there was more that we could do for you, but in the mean time we will pray hard for you to continue to have the courage and strength you have been showing and for Georgia to get that fluid out and no more surgeries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your posts every day and wish I could take some of the pain and frustration away. I'm sending positive, healing thoughts after every post.

    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison and Georgia,
    A few inspirational quotes to help you through this tough time that WILL pass! We are praying for you daily!!!

    Adversity is the diamond dust that heaven polishes its jewels with.

    A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
    - Anonymous

    The storm also beats on the house that is built on the rock.
    - Anonymous

    Don't ask for a light load, but rather ask for a strong back.
    - Anonymous

    Keep rockin' it G and Alison. Love to you both (and Brian!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every day I talk about what Georgia is going through. Every day I learn more about this nasty cancerous disease. Every day I pray for Georgia and for you and Brian. Every day when I am heading off to my bed to sleep for the night I wish I could trade places with you so that it could be you and Brian heading off to your bed to sleep for the night. Keep up the good fight and know that we are all here watching from the sidelines cheering you on, praying for healing and wishing there was more we could do for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete