Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Let go and begin

I've never thought of myself as controlling, in fact quite the opposite.  It's funny how life experiences can show you different sides of yourself, ya, life can be a real riot.  Since Georgia got sick I could feel things getting out of control, and as hard as I tried, I didn't get to control how things would go.  I have done my best to pick my battles and fight for what I thought was best for my daughter but I have certainly struggled with life not meeting my expectations.  It's hard to wish for something and feel like you're doing all that you can to help make it happen and it doesn't.  Georgia's eating and weight gain have felt like my job, I like to do my job well.  Over the course of the last year I have been working on letting go, of expectations, for this process for Georgia and myself.  I have come to realize that letting go is an art form, not easily achieved and something that requires tremendous practice.
After a recent bout with the stomach flu Georgia's prednisone taper was pushed back.  Over the weekend her eating returned to normal and her labs looked good.  On Monday I talked with our PA at the SCCA, we talked about if Georgia was ready to start her taper.  The original taper was supposed to drop her dose down every five days and our doctor didn't feel that it was necessary to stretch that out but said to do what ever I was comfortable with.  I told our PA, we don't need to be the fastest or the best, I just want to do what it right for Georgia's body.  We decided to drop the taper down every seven days which will last approximately eight weeks.  Today we started, 0.2ml less than what we've been doing, a tiny drop that feels like a huge step. 
As life does, I am provided with another opportunity to fine tune my skills of letting go.  My hope is that Georgia's body, and more so her gut is ready to remain healthy and fully functioning without prednisone... as with everything in this life, all you can do it take it one day at a time.  Today I decided to let go of what this taper should look like, so today we begin. 

1 comment:

  1. Words to live by. This is a lesson I needed to hear today my friend. I relate this on so many levels although seemingly trivial in my case, but I get what you mean and will take this advice with me tomorrow and thereafter. Keep on keeping on friend.

    ReplyDelete