Monday, March 26, 2012

Go Team!

Marathon is a word that annoys me, it's one the medical community uses to describe my life, I'm not a runner, I think I've been clear on that.  Recently I was told that Georgia was bringing inspiration to some runners who are a part of Team In Training to raise money for blood cancers... now this kind of marathon is something I can get behind. 
Some of the folks at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society have been following Georgia's story, one of the board members and TNT coaches asked if Georgia and I would come and meet with his team before a practice run.  This team is training for the Eugene Marathon on April 29th.
We'd been emailing about details before the last MRI, I then let him know I wasn't sure if we'd be able to come, we'd been thrown for a loop and would need to wait and see what happened at our orthopedics appointment.  The response was one with not only understanding but an offer of support, he wrote, tomorrow we have one of our longest training runs of the season (16 – 18 miles) and we will dedicate the run to Georgia and your family!  With the extra boost of support we made it through our appointment and were able to meet the team early on Saturday before their run.  I was asked to talk about our story, to be honest I don't totally remember what I said, diagnosis, my incredible daughter and some rambling in between, I finished by thanking everyone for raising money, because although I am thankful there is a treatment for this disease what I've seen is unacceptable.
Thank you for having us TNT and thanks for all that you are doing - we wish you the best of luck with your marathon!

1 comment:

  1. That was an amazing morning... so cold yet very heartwarming. You didn't ramble... much... You told your story while not bringing everyone to tears... only a few. You were able to connect with people who have felt some of the same pain and joy you have felt. You were inspirational and thankful. Georgia made people giggle and smile and feel inspired. Yes, I would say it was a great morning! Thank you for sharing your life and your families lives. It helps others to understand just a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete