Friday, March 23, 2012

Chappie Dog

This week marked the first day of spring and as I look outside now the sun is shining.  I am so thankful to report that this is a direct reflection of our week!
Tuesday we had our appointment at the SCCA.  Georgia's weight was up, she's gained about 3/4 of a pound in a month and has grown an inch since January, she is height/weight proportionate and in the 10th percentile for both.  The team had all good things to say about her progress and we'll start a three month prednisone taper in May.
Today we had our appointment with Chappie.  I tired to remind Georgia that she'd seen him before, "remember your Chappie dog that you got for your birthday?"  Georgia had to been seen on her first birthday by Chappie, her reward was a darling stuffed dog we named Chappie.  Georgia was none to fond of the x-rays they took but recovered quickly. 
One of the moms I met early on in the hospital told me that their family decided a long time ago that when you have to wait for what feels like an eternity in clinic rooms anything that isn't locked up is fair game - we've adopted this philosophy.  After a quick Purell of the white board markers I turned Georgia loose, this kept her entertained until Chappie arrived.
When the door opened I looked at Georgia and said, "this is Chappie, can you say hi?"  She looked at me and said "Chappie dog?' in a very confused voice.  I explained the story and everyone had a good laugh, Chappie said that's one of the nicest compliments he's received.
He sat down and pulled up today's x-ray and past MRI's, he only had good things to say.  He is confident that Georgia has a "tiny" bone cyst, said her femur growth plate looks great and is very pleased with how much her femur has healed.  His feeling is that in about three years her femur will look close to normal if not totally normal.  His recommendation is to do a repeat x-ray (not MRI!!!) in five months then follow it by doing an x-ray once a year.  Brian asked about watching for potential pain in her foot, Chappie replied, "call me, but I won't believe you."  The appointment finished by Chappie hugging both Brian and I and Georgia receiving her THIRD toy of the day.
I am so thankful, we have certainly spent our fair share of time in dark places but this week feels like we are making forward motion, an idea that is very fragile but most certainly possible.


During a potty break this evening Georgia and I
discussed what the doctors had to say:

2 comments: