Friday, June 3, 2011

Day +134

I am sad to report that we were admitted to Children's this afternoon, that darn fever just won't go away. One of Georgia's blood levels was concerning to our doctor so she asked to see us after our previously schedule lab visit today... wouldn't you know it, Georgia's fever was up so after consulting with the SCCA the decision was made to admit us. Right now the gist is this, the concerning level that they are looking at is her bands, these are immature baby cells that can "grow up" and become a few different things... when our doctor told me today that she didn't believe Georgia's increased bands looked like disease I about fell out of my chair - I didn't even realize that was on the table... I guess it's one of those things that is never off. Today Georgia's labs showed that her eosinophils were also up, this can be caused by three things... a parasite, allergies or GVHD. The combination of the bands and eosinophils leads the doctors to believe that this is a result of a GVHD flare - this makes sense to me, we were tapering two steroids and one immune suppressant all while the other immune suppressant was not at a therapeutic level... too much for her fragile system.
The plan is to restart the two steroids (we were only off of one) at their original dose, continue the taper of the immune suppressant and get the other one to a therapeutic level.. we hope this will get Georgia eating more, putting on weight and calm her system down. My understanding is that once this fever is gone for 24 hours we'll be able to go home.. hopefully this will be very soon.
I have to be honest, I am handling this better than I thought... better than I would have just two days ago - I can't really say why, I think maybe knowing that we need to solve this problem and the likelihood of that happening here was pretty high given the circumstances. From the moment we walked back onto the floor everyone has been wonderfully supportive and happy to see Georgia, although all wishing it was only for a quick visit.

Here is a picture from this evening - there are always beautifully knit hats at the front desk and Georgia was asking for one... she was pretty pleased with her choice.



2 comments:

  1. Alison, Georgia looks adorable in her hat - I like the stripes! She is going to kick this fever quickly so you can go out and enjoy the sunshine together, I just know it. Sophia and Ella pray for "baby Georgia" every night. They would love to meet her for a walk one day, they are always asking about her. Go get em!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for a quick visit, although it's comforting to know you have so much love and support on the floor. Those that love you will get you through this.
    I'll be thinking of you on my 70 minute run with the team tomorrow.
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete