Friday, June 3, 2011

Day +135

Without any fevers overnight I was hopeful that this had passed... by late morning Georgia's fever was over 102 so she was again cultured and we bought ourselves at least another 24 hours here. The team decided to give her IVIG although she has reacted to this blood product every time she's had it, and her "level" for needing it was last discussed to be 200, they felt that even at 325 she should get it today since she could be "pre-meded" and watched closely. This turned into hives all over her face, hands and feet just two hours in to the six hour infusion so it was stopped... this accompanied by the fact that her chest x-ray showed what might possibly be a sign of a virus had me feeling like I often do when we're inpatient, it's a ride that once you get on, it's hard to get off. If the fever persists they want to do a nasal wash to check for viruses... this buys us five days in isolation - isolation with a very social toddler should come with a padded room.
As frustrating as it is to be here there is something happening that is making it much harder.. a teenage girl who we know, not well but we know is dying. There have been streams of visitors to her room across the hall since we arrived and after reading her mom's caring bridge site this evening I am sitting here in tears, she is keeping her daughter comfortable, loving her and losing her. Part of me wants to know what I can do to help this family and part of me wants to run out of here.. it's terrifying because it's too close. I know that we're not this family, we are dealing with a totally different types of cancer but we are similar in that we are both families of the SCCA Unit and that allows me to identify in the most uncomfortable way. Tonight I am praying for comfort and peace for this lovely girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment