Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day +132

I was certain I would be crying during our clinic visit today, I was so wound up before we left I thought I may explode. Again doing my clinic day dance of we can handle this but not that and please, please, please... No surprise the lab was backed up after being closed yesterday for the holiday so instead of having labs drawn at 1:40pm we had them drawn at 2:30pm, the exact time of our clinic appointment. Shortly after labs we were called to start the "clinic process" of weight, blood pressure and temperature. I knew Georgia's weight would be down and sure enough it was 9.8kg I was really holding my breath for her temperature knowing this piece could get us a room on the 3rd floor. As luck would have it, or maybe the gods knowing I might actually go crazy, her temp was normal... next up labs.
When we met with Georgia's doctor we talked about how she'd been battling a fever for several days and what that might mean.. no one likes that her weight is down but finding the root cause of this is no easy task. Georgia has a fever, this could indicate that she has a virus which can cause GVHD to flare which could speak to her not wanting to eat.. or could it be that one of her immune suppressants was not at a therapeutic level and her system is reacting to this - once it is up (hopefully later this week) will that calm things down? Still waiting for labs to come back we were free to wander the halls until our doctor returned.. we circled the clinic floor so many times I thought I might get dizzy. Finally we got the news that her labs looked good, improved in fact from last week.. her liver enzyme had gone from 245 to 74 on it's own! This, in the words of our doctor "bought us another week" if Georgia's weight continues to drop then she'll consult with our SCCA doc to see if he wants to repeat her endoscopy or put her back on the steroids she's been tapering.
I felt lighter, relieved and able to muster up motivation to do all I can to put weight on my girl in the coming week. Just before we left our doctor said, I keep meaning to ask you where you came up with the name Georgia Claudia... she said I was charting the other night and stopped and thought, what a great name! I smiled and said, I can't remember where I first heard Georgia but I loved it.. we had two girl names picked out and for at least 80% of my pregnancy I thought Georgia would be Lily (Lillian) if she were a girl.. after a few complications and a tough labor I couldn't help but think this isn't a soft sweet Lily, this girl isn't afraid to let us know whose calling the shots.. she's Georgia.. and Claudia, well I said, that was my mom's name. This was a good reminder to me of who is fighting this battle and how strong my Georgia Claudia is.

No comments:

Post a Comment