Friday, March 11, 2011

Day +51

Midnight vitals, 2am meds and blood draw, 4am vitals, 4:30am chest xray and at 7am our nurse came in - Georgia has a bloodstream infection only showing up in her white lumen. My stomach dropped, it really is my fault, the white lumen is the one we use for TPN. The nurse said it is a gram positive bacteria - Georgia had a gram positive blood infection last time we were here.. I got to thinking, although it showed up in her line last time the doctor was adamant that she got it from bacteria in her mouth.
This morning we were put into isolation because they want to see if Georgia has a virus too, we won't know the results of that test until late tomorrow so until then we're in our room, the 8x10 one that we started our transplant stay in. Mid morning there was a knock on our door, the transplant team was ready to round on us - standing outside our room was my favorite attending, one who is warm, kind, insanely intelligent and above all an excellent communicator. Georgia's numbers were read allowed as she looked on and waved at the team. Her labs look good, she'd started an antibiotic for her bloodstream infection and we'd wait on the other results. When the team came into examine her they all commented on how good she looks - this allowed me to take a breath. As we chatted about the infection I had to ask, I said, I know there was some concern about an increased risk of infection going home on TPN... attending looked at me puzzled, he said plenty of kids go home on TPN... I asked, is this bloodstream infection likely to have been caused by line access? He said that this is a very common bacterial infection - one that starts on the skin or mouth.. ah, I let out a breath, feeling some guilt lifted off my shoulders.
Georgia's course of antibiotics will likely be for 10-14 days, all of which will need to be spent inpatient because it's given every six hours. If she doesn't have a fever and is otherwise not at risk we will be able to go on pass... first though we need to wait for the viral cultures to come back.
While were are here she will eventually have the procedure that was scheduled for yesterday, diapers will be weighed to keep track of her ins and outs and the dietitian said she'd give us the weekend then we'd chat on Monday.
The journey thus far has proven there is never a dull moment and you've got to keep your eye on the ball.. I am working on keeping an eye one every single one that I'm juggling.

3 comments:

  1. you are doing a great job momma...... blessed little baby that you are so alert and best of all you know your little baby girl better than all. I love you and am thinking of you. Will bring you some more mad magazines... tee hee
    love to you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you are back in the hospital, but your attentiveness and intuition have come to the rescue again. Thinking of you still.

    ~ Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Georgia,

    I stumbled onto this blog today (I hope that's ok), and I had to write to say that I am amazed by your story, your determination, and your spirit. The incredible strength and fierce love that pours out of every post your mom has written is inspiring. I hope that you are already feeling better, and I will be keeping you in my thoughts--sending huge amounts of positive energy your way!!!

    ReplyDelete