Tuesday, December 28, 2010

After realizing that I couldn't shake my uneasiness with a lot of information that I've received lately I decided this weekend that I would call our diagnosing physician at Children's on Monday to see if I could talk with her to better understand how Georgia fits into the criteria for JMML. Monday morning came around and I made the call, when the doctor got on the phone I was surprised at what she had to say.. she said that she was going to call me, that she'd received a call from the SCCA attending and something about our blog, that someone over there had read my post after our arrival conference and shown it to him... I thought "oh my god, what did I say... wait, that's right, the one where I called him an arrogant ass".. well now who feels like an ass? I told her that I just needed to understand more, I need to be more comfortable with the information. This has all been such a whirl wind and I need to know that if Georgia comes to me later in life wondering why she is different that I can tell her why we did this for her... not to her.
We have a meeting scheduled with her for Thursday but that still left our clinic appointment at the SCCA today, the one where we'd see our attending doctor. Needless to say I went back and read my post and thought even though I was a bit embarrassed ultimately it's how I was feeling.
This afternoon when we met with our team we reviewed any new Georgia data then I plainly said, "so I hear readership is up on our blog".. yes it is he responded. What followed was a really good, honest, caring conversation about where we are and our lovely daughter. I did most of the talking (versus Brian) as I was the one who had obvious concerns. They told us that we could meet with a JMML expert in San Francisco but not until the 11th - did we want to postpone things - all of a sudden I felt myself needing to let our team know that we do want to go to transplant and that we really are thankful that we are here at the SCCA. The attending let me know that he'd read our whole blog, this I appreciate, that he took the time to see where we've been but if for no other reason than he knows Georgia better. I explained that this is so hard, I lost my mom to cancer and can't believe I am here now. He said that after reading the blog it sounds like I am still coming to terms with Georgia having leukemia so the question is do I need to get comfortable that she has the right diagnosis or do I need to get comfortable with the fact that my daughter has cancer. He hit the nail on the head... something I didn't realize was true for myself until that moment, I have certainly not come to terms with the fact that Georgia has Leukemia. I don't deny that the diagnosis is true or that the information has been reviewed by the best in the business but that is very different than accepting that your baby has an awful, awful disease. On top of Georgia having cancer, she has Leukemia which is very isolating - we are doing everything within our power to keep her safe and healthy at all times, this is challenging but also removes you from your support system. There are so many amazing people who want to help us but we have to keep them at a distance to keep her safe.
In the end we made it very clear that we understand that Georgia does need a transplant and that we trust in the team that will be caring for her. I told them that I am working on accepting that this means giving up some control as a mom, this is hard but necessary. I think they see that I am someone who does their damnedest to operate as a glass half full person.... so to all members of the SCCA, welcome to Georgia's Cure Team, we're glad to have you.

Given the recent events I thought about trying to edit my posts, about making the blog private or stopping writing here all together but none of that seemed to sit right so I offer this:

DISCLAIMER:
This is the blog of a mother, one whose love for her daughter is indescribable. It is where I go to vent my frustrations, share my fears and melt down. I am a person who has a positive attitude but finds that can be challenging as I watch my baby on her path to conquer cancer. When I get down I come here to let it go so I can take on what ever is to come the next day. Read with the understanding that my posts are fueled with emotion as I navigate through the obstacle course that life has put in front of us.

6 comments:

  1. Don't you dare stop this blog, it's your right, your outlet and your connection to others. It just might enlighten those that read it that are actually part of the story...all feedback can be used as a positive if used to improve. Besides...if you don't like it, don't read it. I often find myself reading it very late at night...also the time I think about my Mom. I just can't imagine your feelings but I do enjoy reading them so I can best direct my thoughts and prayers for you all.
    Love to you!
    Tanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, don't stop writing. We are sooo far away, but I check it quite often. You are her mother and advocate. Fight for her with everything you have! Don't give up. She WILL look at this and read this to her children and know that her mom was a fighter and loved her to much to not question. We think of you guys often. We send our love and prayers for you and Brian an of course Georgia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure never stop! Just think if you hadn't written to start w/ you would still be sitting w/ all your thoughts inside & that essential conversation w/ the attending wouldn't have happened. I am a believer the world would spin so much better if we all shared our thoughts.
    Continue to follow your heart. Your words are so important & so many, including myself, appreciate your honesty & allowing us to follow in your journey & along the way hopefully we all can buoy your family when you need it most.
    Your family is always in my thoughts. I will be raising a glass on New Year's Eve in honor of you and Georgia and looking forward to the healing that will happen in 2011!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetheart, your feelings are honest and true. This blog is a very important place for you to vent, to process this very huge thing taking place in your life. By sharing your thoughts and feelings, you will be strengthened and better able to care for your daughter AND for yourself, which is very, very important.

    I am impressed and so happy to hear Georgia's attending doctor has read and heard your words. Thumbs up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison, never stop writing you have a gift expressing your feelings and the current happenings on what is going on with Georgia's care. Please know she is always in our thoughts and reading this keeps everyone on top of what is going on without bothering you or your family during this hard time. I to lost my mother to cancer when I was a young girl, I was just saying the other day what a fantastic outlet this blog is for you. Technology was not where it is today, so my father spent several hours on the phone telling each and every family member the current news of my mother's condition. This was emotionally draining and very time consuming as well. Please keep writing and we will keep praying for Georgia to sail through this with flying colors.
    Regards,
    Tera (From across the street)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for you going into the meeting and bringing it up and Hooray for the SCCA attending doc for actually taking the time to read the entire blog.
    As I said to you the other day... as long as your words are not taken out of context and the entire story is read, there is nothing for you to be concerned about. I'm glad the attending read the entire blog. He now has an idea of not only Georgia but of her wonderful and lovingly protective parents are about.
    This journey has had a whole lot of rough roads and we here all know it's not over yet. If you stopped blogging, your cell phones would blow up! We can't come to your home to help, you can't come to our homes for support... you need the blog. Do not worry about censorship... you now have a disclaimer! I LOVE the disclamier!!
    You ROCK Alison! Keep up the blog. Don't worry about what other people think. Your faithful readers are here for you day and night. We love you and Brian and your beautiful Georgia!

    ReplyDelete