Monday, October 1, 2012

Light the Night

On Saturday evening Georgia and I headed over to Greenlake to check out Light the Night, a benefit put on by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I heard about this event last year, people carrying lit balloons around Greenlake to bring light to the dark subject of cancer.  I'd been planning to go for several weeks but with our recent dermatology visit weighing on me I thought maybe it would be good to stay far away from all things leukemia.  In the end I decided to go, it was a beautiful night and I knew if it was too overwhelming we could leave at any point.
We arrived to a much larger event than I had anticipated, booths, balloons and lots of people.  I spotted the Children's Hospital booth and began to make our way over, almost there, we bumped into a big Georgia supporter who we've met through Team in Training.  Minutes later I was hugging Mia's mom and dad and telling her twin brother Noah how grown up he is!  We saw nurses and staff from Children's, all remarking at how big Georgia has gotten.
My intention was to go and cheer on the walkers, quickly after arriving someone asked, "did Georgia get a white balloon?  She has to have a white survivors balloon!"  With a balloon in hand we decided to walk with the others.  Shortly before the event began we saw Georgia's oncologist and her family, pictures were taken, hugs were given and it was time to walk.
It was such a great feeling to see these people who have been such a significant part of our lives, outside of the hospital, to talk about normal things, not cancer things.  At one point our oncologist was pushing Georgia's stroller and offering to carry her if she got too heavy. 
As much as I wish leukemia was not a part of our lives it was nice to spend a "normal" evening with people who totally get it.  If we have to go through this, I am certainly grateful for all of the support this community offers.
At the end of the evening Noah decided he wanted to send the gold balloon he'd been carrying in memory of Mia up to her.  I watched as his parents knelt down beside him, said a few words, he hugged the balloon, then let it go... it was truly a touching moment to witness.


 Georgia and Noah
 Our beloved Dr. Pollard
 Georgia re-hydrating at the finish
These two definitely lit up the night!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment