Friday, January 27, 2012

Exhale

I am at a loss for words - we're here, we did it.  Today we got the news that we've hoped, prayed and visualized for so many months, all of Georgia's results look really good.  We still have a long critical haul in front of us but hitting one year post transplant is huge - how huge in fact, I didn't fully grasp until today.  JMML is considered a very aggressive leukemia, of patients who will relapse, 70% will relapse within the first year.
There was talk about T cells, bone marrow, thyroid function, iron studies, IGg levels, eyes, joints, and on and on -  all of which we were told are looking very good.
Although I'd hoped to start a prednisone taper in February we will go for another three months before considering a taper.  Georgia has grown taller since being put on prednisone which is a good sign that the drug isn't impacting her hormones in ways that it is know to do.  Hopefully we will start a taper in three months (which would last several months) from there, work on tapering her immune suppressant - all in all she will still be heavily immune suppressed over the course of the next year.
Day to day life won't change much for us, over the next couple of months we hope to get to once a month appointments and there is still a large focus on Georgia's eating and weight gain.  In March we will have another MRI on her left leg and will start to re-immunize. 
I looked back at what I posted exactly one year ago - Georgia had a fever of 103, had just been diagnosed with a bacterial infection and was scheduled for a CT scan the next day - I wrote the words, dear good this is enough, eight days later we were transferred to the PICU.
Today feels like such a crossroads, if I look back I am instantly brought to tears about all that has happened to my precious girl, if I look forward I see a very long road but one that holds health, happiness and a whole lot of love.


Thank you for all of the love and prayers, they are proving to be so very powerful.

No time to smile for the camera - bottoms up!

5 comments:

  1. Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best news, ever!! -Karina & Avery Genge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, OH! Wonderful, fabulous, sunshiny news to find on a gray p.n.w. day! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you guys . . . Georgia deserves a lifetime of health and happiness and so do her parents. Your strength and courage has amazed me through this journey!

    ReplyDelete