Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day +356

Needless to say I was nervous going to Georgia's clinic appointment yesterday, I was confident her labs would prove that her low counts were virus driven, but I've been doing this long enough to know stranger things have happened and you just don't know until you know.
As soon as the door opened our doctor said things looked better - she'd actually been looking for us because the labs came back so quickly and she knew I'd be worried. 
This process is full of ups and downs, Georgia's labs had improved but our doctor has some concerns about her blood pressure.  We know without a doubt the "white coat" factor is playing a role but Georgia was sitting still and wasn't upset when her blood pressure was taken, this has become a theme.  It isn't uncommon for transplant kids to be on blood pressure medication, the immune suppressants and steroids can have an impact. 
I took some time yesterday to enjoy the feeling of a moments peace that came with improved labs, unfortunately I can't stay there, we have the new focus of blood pressure and major tests coming in less than two weeks. 
We will be meeting with the renal clinic to asses Georgia's blood pressure and see if she needs to be put on blood pressure medication.  This news came one year to the day that we checked into the hospital to begin conditioning for transplant.  I can't help but feel overwhelming sadness for the stress this process continues to have on Georgia's little body.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to start this comment. I'm sitting in the brown room as my husband and I call it. It's the family conference room down the hall to the left of the SCCA front desk. My friend Katie Sheerin told me about your blog. I just started reading a few posts and well, what can I say as a mom of a 22 month old little girl diagnosed with AML just over a month ago - everything you say feels like our own life and the possibilities down the road for our life. Thank you for sharing. The last sentence of this post hits me the most. I sat in the kitchenette area talking with another mom who was telling me about all the ways life will be different at home once they can get home after their transplant, and I once again felt that overwhelming sorrow for all that may be lost because of this poison we have to give our kids in hope that it will destroy the greater evil. If my little girl lives, she'll have to tell her future love that because she had cancer she may never be able to have children. It's so hard not to already feel the weight of these future pains. I just want you to know that I will be praying for you and your husband and sweet little Georgia and that somehow the Lord will carry us through this fire.

    ReplyDelete