Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day +370

Today was hard, Georgia is all to wise to where we go and what happens once we get there.  I continually hear "more ba-bye", "no tube", "home" today was filled with all of those but a new one that broke my heart - "no poke, done."  While I'm holding Georgia during these times, trying to reassure her that everything is going to be okay I want to tell her that I'm sorry no one is listening to what she is so clearly asking for.  The whole process never gets less traumatic for either of us.
With today weighing heavy on my heart I want to share some information, I have to laugh because at the beginning of this journey I was certain I would never be a person who talked about all of the statistics around cancer, that we were in this fight for Georgia and nothing else.  I have a new outlook now, when you've seen what I have, you want everyone to have some knowledge so you can make a difference.  Childhood cancer is ofter refered to as rare - 1 in 300 is not rare.

The American Cancer Society spends 1% on Childhood Cancer Research
They spend 7% on Administrative Costs

The Ben Towne Foundation continues to do incredible things - they just gave $5 Million grant to support finding a cure for CHILDHOOD cancer.  100% of any donation to Ben Towne Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation will support innovative research toward curing childhood cancer.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-a-special-5-million-grant-helps-seattle-childrens-hospital-fight-cancer-20120123,0,1530364.story
 
http://bentownefoundation.org/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment