Saturday, August 27, 2016

Lake Thomas

Lake Thomas to me, is a place like no other.  This small lake and the beautiful scenery hold so many memories of my childhood.  Every summer my mom would pack us up and together we'd spend nearly two weeks with my aunt and cousins at the same cabin that my mom grew up going to.  It was old, no TV, no telephone, lots of creaky floors and one bathroom... unless you wanted to use the outhouse. It's where we learned to waterski, told stories and never complained about being away from friends.  Nothing glamorous or fancy and it was heaven.

My mom's dying wish was to go to Lake Thomas, back to the cabin and lake she held so dear.  I remember packing to go, she was so sick.  Her oncologist called days before leaving and warned us against going, he said, she could die there.  We went anyway.  By that point, my mom's cancer had spread throughout her body and a spot on her spine was causing her great pain and significantly decreasing her mobility.  She slept in a lazyboy chair, the only thing that gave her spine enough support.  Her chair was in the sunroom overlooking the lake.

When Georgia was eight months old, Brian and I took her to Lake Thomas.  A picture from that trip hung in every hospital room we ever stayed in.  Here we were introducing Georgia to this place, so special to me and to the grandmother she'd never know and two months later we'd learn of her cancer.
August 13, 2016 marked 20 years since my mom died.  My sister and I kicked around several ideas of where to spend this day and Lake Thomas seemed to be the perfect fit.

After leaving Montana this year, Leslie and I drove with the kids to Lake Thomas.  We spent time with my aunt and enjoyed watching the four grandchildren my mom never knew experience the wonders of Lake Thomas together for the first time.

On the anniversary of her passing, we planted a tree in honor of my mom, perched just up from the water, it has a beautiful view of the lake.  I miss her so much, she would have loved seeing her girls be moms and watching her grandchildren.












 Tubing fun!







 Aunt Suzanne and the gang





 A dear friend of my aunt and mom, Betsy joined us for an evening boat ride.





 Fish on!  All four kids caught multiple fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment