Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Positve Forward Motion

Today we had what I would consider a big appointment at the SCCA.  Georgia has successfully been off of Prednisone since July 11th, she's held her own, gained weight and today we met to see what's happening on the inside.
Based on how Georgia is eating, acting and playing I knew going into today the odds of it being a "good" appointment were in our favor-- that never seems to calm my nerves as much as it should.
She's grown taller, gained weight and internally, aside from some slightly raised liver numbers is doing well.  The bump in the liver function is minor but something that will be watched closely.  Shortly after our doctor and PA walked in the room I was handed a taper schedule.  The taper is for her Sirolimus, the big guns of her immune suppression, a step that is only taken when certain criteria have been met-- it's big.
The plan is this, we start the taper tomorrow, if all goes according to plan it will last five weeks.  Once she's off of Sirolimus all together she will be monitored for any signs of GVHD for six months as this is typically the time you would see it flare if it's going to.  I asked what the odds were, I did my best of letting go of expectations for the Prednisone taper and will try and do the same here but I needed to know.  Our doctor said he'd give it a 90% chance for success, based on where she is post transplant and the fact that she got bone marrow versus peripheral blood-- I immediately thought of our donor who was given a choice of what he was willing to donate.
During these appointments we often cover what Georgia can and can't do, come September 5th, the first day off of immune suppression, she's been given the green light to play in good ole' fashion dirt.  I don't think I will have her start making mud pies in the backyard but finally I will be able to let my guard down some with outdoor play.
I am so thankful that we get to take this next step but am certainly terrified as well.  Life won't immediately change once immune suppression is done but it will be a major milestone. We will maintain our conservative lifestyle until March as Georgia getting sick could flare her GVHD.
It's scary to allow yourself to think several months into the future, we've seen how quickly hopes and dreams can be taken away. 
I think probably to the outside world we're jumping up and down, cheering and so happy--  in reality, we're thankful.  When you have seen what we've have seen, full blown celebrations just don't fit the bill, it's more of a feeling of being grateful and respecting the process.  As we made our way through the Prednisone taper I didn't cross off weeks that we'd finished, I didn't talk about being done and even left the taper schedule up on the fridge for a few days after we were done.  I guess it was my way of not provoking any unwanted attention from the "Prednisone Gods." I have a feeling the same process will be followed, tomorrow I again let go and begin.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing to think how far Georgia has come, how far you all have come. So amazing. Another day down. Take a deep breath, and tackle the next, one moment at a time. Give Georgia a little {hug} from her Whidbey fans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above post sounds (to me) very positive all around. You know so much more about this topic than 90% of most people, so I applaud you! Georgia is so stinkin cute and looks amazing lately. Keep doing what you are doing and good luck with the newest taper. Just another stranger out in blogger-land giving you the thumbs up and some encouragement! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just like you always have, you keep going...Winston would be so proud, my friend.

    ReplyDelete