Monday, July 30, 2012

G.I.R.L.

I'd always heard about nature versus nurture and always believed it was a combination of the two.  I still believe this but had no idea how much is not taught, how much just simply is.  I wouldn't consider myself a super girly girl so I've been so surprised to see twirls happen without teaching, tutus picked without me giving any preference.  Georgia has been emerging all on her own.  A few things over the past couple of weeks have given me a glimpse into what the future has in store...

A couple of weeks ago we got a Mini Boden catalog in the mail, I'm still not sure why we get these because these darling kids clothes are far from budget conscious.  Georgia immediately grabbed the catalog and started looking through it - the kids, I thought, it must be fun for her to see the kids.  Ha!  Within seconds I was hearing oooo-ing and ahhh-ing, "Mama, I wanna buy this" and "Oh Mama, this is cuuuute."  That's right she was thumbing through the spendy catalog picking out her fall wardrobe.  I said, "Georgia, how much does that cost?"  Every item, "five-dollars Mama." 

Today I had to wake Georgia up to head to Children's for an early blood draw, this hasn't happened in a while and was met with sobbing and repeated "I don't wanna get a poke."  I felt awful and promised her a trip to the park and said we could get the new bucket she'd been wanting.  I made good on the park and when it was time to go she asked about getting a bucket.  I told her we could go to Target and pick one out on the way home, she stopped, "no mama, clothes."  I said, "you choose, you can get a toy or one item of clothing at the store."--- no hesitation, "clothes."  We headed to Target and she browsed for a short time before telling me she'd found what she wanted --- a dress, cotton white top with colored stars and a tutu style skirt, she was thrilled.  I made sure she saw all of her options but she was certain this was the one.  No mention of a toy, no mention of a bucket, just grinning from ear to ear with her new dress in hand.

Clearly I have myself a girly girl and you know what, it's so fun.  My future holds lots of dress up, telling her even though everyone else has it, no she can't wear the uber-mini skirt and many trips to the mall.  To top off girling things up, last week I was putting Georgia to bed and was sure she was almost asleep, it was silent, then I heard in a voice plain as day... "I like boys." 

Heaven help me!

2 comments:

  1. She has two wonderful parents who have done an amazing job of raising her so far. I think you will all be fine come the "teen-years" She is amazing and smart and funny. She has a goofy sense of humor (making mommy chase the ball down the hill repeatedly) and oh so creative!
    I look forward to watching her grow into young woman!

    ReplyDelete