Friday, September 4, 2015

To My (Almost) Kindergartner

The past few nights I've snuck into your room, just for a minute I watch you sleep and am overcome with the feeling of pride and gratitude.  I'm so proud of who you are Georgia and I'm so grateful I got to keep you.  In a matter of days you will be embarking on a giant new adventure, kindergarten.  It's hard not think of those times when this seemed nearly unattainable and certainly light years away, yet, it's here.  You're ready.

You are a kind little girl, you make friends easily and love being social.  We've talked about making friends in a new school.  I told you that you don't have to be best friends with everyone but you must be kind to everyone.  We've also talked about standing up for yourself if others are not being kind to you.  It's a delicate balance that you'll practice for years to come.

You have this incredible skill that many people lack, delayed gratification.  I'm always impressed when I hand you a dish full of vitamins, you take the ones you don't like first.  You're willing to wait, often saying your brother can have a treat first.  You see the reward at the end of a task and are willing to work for it.  Last is best, you say, I think trait this will take you far.

You're strong, physically you are gaining speed and strength and were thrilled when you recently made it all the way across the monkey bars without help.

You're excited about learning.  This summer we've been working on sight words and reading, you're thrilled when you get things right but get frustrated really quickly if you don't.  I'm hoping that you can learn to be patient with yourself, take a deep breath and try again.  I'm still learning too.

This summer after we figured out which school you'd be attending, I signed you up for Jump Start. Being new to Gig Harbor and that we are a first time kindergarten family, I think it was good for all of us.  You were able to see your new school, find out where the bathrooms and cafeteria (you called it the cafe) are and most importantly you met some friends and a few of the teachers.

Last week we had a conference with your teacher, Mrs. Boetner, she's very nice and is enthusiastic about teaching kindergarten.  She came back from her honeymoon the night before "meet the teacher" night saying this was her favorite time of year and that she just couldn't miss it.   I think the fact that Mrs. B. was just a bride makes her a little bit magical, perhaps a little like a princess.

We've talked a lot about the first day of school, you're so excited to get started.  I asked if you'd like me to drive you on the first day, you politely declined and told me that you'd rather take the bus.

I couldn't be more proud of you, my advice as you begin this new chapter...

Be brave.
Be kind.
Have fun.

I love you Georgia.

 First day of Jump Start

 Meet the Teacher night
Lunchbox and thermos - check!
 Mrs. B.
 Having a library in your school is very exciting!
 You're an Orca!



2 comments: