Monday, June 30, 2014

Ballerina

 This weekend Georgia had a very special event, her first ever ballet recital.  Each week when I told her she had ballet she'd ask, "Mom, is today my recital?"  Despite telling me that she wasn't sure what she was supposed to do at the recital, she couldn't wait to go.
The day was finally here so we packed up to head to the rehearsal, all morning she was asking, "now? is it time to go now?!?"  Once we arrived it was constant squeals and chatter of little girls in pretty costumes.  The girls were all so excited and patiently waited their turn to rehearse then perform.
I was the backstage parent for our class, admittedly I took the job for photo opportunities but paid my dues in keeping track of 10, 4-5 year old girls.
I got a front row seat for their performance, everyone did great and more importantly had so much fun.  After a final bow with all of the groups the house lights came on and the girls went out into the audience to see friends and family who attended the performance.  Georgia was thrilled to see Daddy, Leo, Nana, Bawdy and Nah but most of all her cousins, Blake and Lauren.  The kids went up on stage for a picture then Georgia said she'd be right back.  She went over to her teacher and asked if she and her cousins could practice their bows on stage.  She didn't want it to end, she loved being on stage and leaping all around, we were the second to last people to leave.
Afterward we went out for dinner and ice cream, she was all smiles.  As Georgia and I walked back to our car hand in hand I was so thrilled with how the day had gone for her, she loved every minute.  She looked up and me and said, "Mom, I got to do my recital, go out to dinner and ice cream, today was even better than my birthday!"
That night as I tucked her into bed she asked if she could do her recital again tomorrow.  I told her that she could put on her costume and do her performance at our house, she said she wanted a stage, I said, how about we pretend the deck is a stage?  With a very disappointed sigh she said, "No mom, I want to perform on a real stage."  I guess there may be a recital or two in her future and we all couldn't be happier or more grateful.
It's moments like these, once in a lifetime firsts that humble me, all of the little girls in her class are special, each parent so proud, I'm just not sure everyone wells up with gratitude the way I do when memories like this are made.

 Georgia & Marley
 Most of her class waiting to rehearse 



 Teacher Jenna is amazing!


 The start of the show

 Georgia taking flight




 Practicing their bow
Leo, so proud of his big sister

Here is a video of the performance, the lighting makes it tough to see but you get the idea.  Thank you Leslie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7DsStxnMM


1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh..... The video made me go all happy teary! :)

    ReplyDelete