Friday, August 2, 2013

Every Strand

This week Georgia had a first, her first haircut... ever.  I'd literally said, "I don't want to cut it until she looks like Crystal Gayle" when her hair started to grow back.  Recently though, Georgia had been hearing about her friends and cousins getting their hair cut and asked when she could too. 
Hair has such emotion tied to it now, I remember asking early on when she would lose hers and then waking up in the hospital with strands of her beautiful blonde hair all over the pillow.  As Georgia's hair grew back there was a lot of questions in my mind, I'd heard the term "chemo curls" and noticed that it was coming in much darker than it had been.  Someone at the hospital commented that with the exception of redheads, just about everyone's hair comes back medium brown then turns lighter or darker.  It's taken a while but Georgia has returned to blonde, a beautiful, warm blonde and although it's not curly, it certainly has much more body than it did before.
I finally came around, realizing that a trim would keep her hair healthier so I made an appointment at a kids salon here in West Seattle.  Georgia was excited to go and Brian happened to be home so it became a family affair, all four of us went to this momentous occasion.  She seemed a little nervous, holding my hand for part of it but was happy to request two little braids when she was done, and it was topped off with pink sparkles, she was thrilled.  We kept some of the hair, I will tuck it away with the hair that I saved from the hospital, after all, Georgia has more than earned every single strand.






No comments:

Post a Comment