Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Long Time Coming

Last week all four of us boarded a flight, a trip we'd planned months earlier and had been dreaming about for far longer.  The flight attendant came on the intercom and announced this was a flight to Maui, Georgia turned to me with a concerned look and said, "Mom! They said this plane is going to Maui, you said we were going to Hawaii."  Brian and I both laughed, and smiled, knowing what each other was thinking, this was the beginning to a trip that at times seemed unreachable.  
Both kids did great on the long flight and the short hop over to Kona, we checked into our condo and quickly settled into the island lifestyle.  We stayed 10 days, each of them filled with sun, sand castles, swimming and a whole lot of smiles.  It was hard to watch Georgia and not feel overwhelmed with pure joy and gratitude.  After all that shes had to endure, we were here, a seemingly normal family.  My daughter who couldn't dig in dirt the year before was covered in sand, swimming in the ocean, and loving every second.  No one should have to go through what we've been through, but when you can't change your reality it certainly makes you appreciate every little moment of happiness.  
Our vacation was all that I'd hoped for, napping baby, happy, healthy toddler, family time, relaxation and an occasional cocktail.  We're looking forward to many more.
On our last beach day, Brian and Leo headed to the car while Georgia and I gathered up the last of our things.  Georgia walked toward the path but paused at the tricky step up, a woman sitting close by moved toward her and offered a hand.  I was steps behind and thanked the woman, before I could get all of my words out she looked at me and said, "wow, she is a very special little girl.".  I smiled and said, "well, I'd have to agree."  She went on to tell me that she works in the field of holistic health, she said she was struck by Georgia's powerful energy.  This opened up a brief conversation about Georgia and where she's been.  Before leaving, she leaned in and looked at Georgia, she said, "you have a lot of important work to do here Georgia."  I smiled and couldn't help but think, it takes a long time to do a lot of work.



Leo spent his beach days relaxing
 


First time in the ocean
 

baby toes in the sand
 

Happy, happy dad
 

Clearly embracing island afternoon naps
 



Checking the surf
 


So happy together
 

Little beach buns
 

Up close with a sea turtle
 



Me and my best girl
 



Sorry Leo, I couldn't stop your sister
 

My loves
 

Sand castle building at sunset
 

Whose having a good time in Hawaii?
 

I couldn't love them any more if I tried
 

Beach beauty
 




Leo was giving us his best sexy beach pose...
Work it Leo!
 



Handsome fella
 

and my heart has officially melted!

No comments:

Post a Comment