Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Unexpected Gift

Last week I celebrated my 36 birthday, I have reached the age where I have to stop and think about how old I am... just weeks earlier I told my sister I was turning 35 and wholeheartedly believed it.  I knew it would be a good day simply because Brian was home, it turned out to be far better than expected.  Brian told me the night before that I needed to be somewhere the next afternoon, that morning, he and Georgia handed me a card and a gift certificate.  Brian had scheduled a 90 minute facial for me and even added in an eyebrow wax, clearly my husband is learning what makes a good gift, make that a really good gift!
I was off to the spa, so excited to enjoy some peace and quiet, relaxation and a little time to rejuvenate.  The facial was amazing, at one point I was certain my body was one with the table.  When I was finished I texted Brian to say I'd be home shortly, he sent a message back saying that both kids were napping and to take my time, well, I thought, I don't mind if I do!  I showered and got ready and decided to return a few happy birthday messages I'd received.  I was about ready to go but wanted to do a quick check of my email, I looked down, and there it was, his name, Georgia's bone marrow donor had written back.
About two weeks before my birthday I'd received word from the SCCA that Georgia's donor had agreed to give his contact information to us, I remember just looking at his name and starting to cry, the emotion of putting a name with her donor had much more of an impact than I had expected.   I'd sent and email with pictures and was hoping to hear back, the message I received on my birthday was the most unexpected, most incredible gift.
So there I was, sitting in the spa locker room, reading this email with tears streaming down my face. His email was kind, funny and full of information about himself and his experience donating his bone marrow.  During college he saw a bone marrow registry drive for a little German girl battling leukemia, at approximately 22 years old he signed up hoping to help.  I am still a bit baffled by this, I don't know many 22 year old men who would have taken the time, let alone followed through several years later.  He referred to Georgia his genetic twin and I'm happy to report we are now connected on FaceBook. 
A few days passed and on Sunday we celebrated Mother's Day, I couldn't help but think of him again as I watched Georgia running around in the backyard and holding Leo in my arms.  In my letter to him I didn't know how to accurately express our gratitude, after trying to come up with just the right words, I simply wrote, you didn't just save our daughter, you saved our family.  I've always known I wanted to be a mother but it wasn't until I met my children that I have felt with such certainty that they are the reason I'm here, I was put on this planet to be their mom, for that, I'm grateful.
I look forward to communicating more with him and perhaps one day he will meet our amazing girl and his genetic twin.

Here are a few pictures of the two little people who push me beyond my limits, deprive me of sleep and who I love with every fiber of my being...




No comments:

Post a Comment