Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Dirty Intervention

I suppose I'll never know for sure, is it just who she is, was it that it was once forbidden, or is it just a girl thing?  No matter what the cause, Georgia doesn't like to be dirty.  At around two and a half I tired to get Georgia to finger paint, she just held up her hands with a panicked look and asked me to wash it off.. all of it.  For a long time Georgia was told she couldn't play in dirt, literally, do not dig in dirt.  We had to get rid of all of our house plants because even the bacteria and mold in the soil could make her sick.
I noticed that as the rules loosened, my daughter didn't and I was a little concerned.  Brian and I would both tell her when she was upset about spilling something on her clothes, "it's OK, it's no big deal, we'll wash it."  I talked to her teacher about it a while ago, telling her how we tried to reassure her, but she made a very good point, to Georgia, it is a big deal and it's not OK.
While we were getting things together for Leo's party Georgia asked to help me make the cupcakes, she put on her little apron and we got started.  By the end she was messy, but was having fun, and then she said it, I heard, "mom" and saw a little grin, "I kind of like getting messy."  I smiled and agreed that it can be pretty fun.  I was so happy, thinking that she must be loosening up a bit.
After Leo's birthday party I went inside to put him down for a nap while Blake and Georgia played.  Brian and Leslie were still outside chatting and when I returned all I could do was laugh.  Here Georgia was with her only older cousin, they had the hose on making mud puddles and seeing who could make the biggest splash.  They couldn't have been more proud or having more fun.  Georgia was thrilled and loved every minute of it... finally.
So, I owe a big thank you to Blake, as my sister said, "who better to get dirty with, a kid who has never cared if he was messy or not!"  Thanks Blaker, your dirty intervention worked, we've now even discovered bugs and worms... who knows what's next!








No comments:

Post a Comment