Saturday, March 15, 2014

One

Sweet Leo, how can it be, my baby is one!  I will likely remind you every year what happened the day you were born.  I went to pick up take out about a half hour before my first contraction.  Daddy and I had a bad cold but I was starting to feel better and wanted to get out of the house.  After arriving home we were getting everyone dished up and I felt it, my first real contraction.  I looked at the clock, 6:20pm, just minutes later there was another one so I call the doctor.  On the phone, I told the doctor that at my last check up I was 4cm dilated, she asked if I wanted to deliver naturally... I literally laughed out loud, saying, oh no, I definitely want an epidural.  After a whirlwind of activity, Georgia was sent to the neighbors house to wait for Nah (Aunt Leslie) to pick her up and we were on our way to the hospital.  We arrived and things continued to move fast, I was promised an epidural while in triage and minutes later when we were in our room my water broke and four pushes later your were born.. no epidural, 28 minutes after we'd checked in, and only one hour and 45 minutes after my first contraction.
Over the last year you have smiled a lot, you're a happy boy.  You love your sister, the water, the outdoors, playing games and being social.  I can honestly say that I was present for most of your first year because you have not been a great sleeper.  Last night you did an eight hour stretch, I hope this is a sign of things to come.
You have taken up to four steps in a row and are gaining speed with walking toys, I can tell you're more interested in this new skill and perspective on the world.
You have been the most perfect addition to our family, you moved our focus to such a wonderful place and made us complete.  Although the baby years are challenging I still melt when you crawl over to me and lift up your arms to be picked up, this will not be forever and I will miss it when it's gone.
I still smile and have a little laugh, a boy, I have a sweet baby boy.  As a parent, the single most surprising thing has been how little I have to do with who my children are.  Sure, I will influence the way you are brought up, where you live but that's just logistics, who you are is already so concrete, from the minute you arrived in this world you were you and I still find that fascinating.  I love you and and am so, so happy that you're mine, my sweet Leo James, happy birthday.


 




 Prince Leo
 The best we could for a cousin shot at the party
 Getting into the cake

Leo wasn't the only one getting messy 

Birthday Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment