Sunday, September 29, 2013

Ready to go

Tomorrow a new journey begins, something that wasn't even on my radar for a long time, then became a goal and now it's here, tomorrow Georgia is going to school.  Technically school started two weeks ago but Georgia had a cold, one that came with a fever and cough.  We were all so disappointed when she missed her first day, she had tears and I held back mine.  We've spent the last two weeks recovering and getting even more excited about starting.  Georgia got a letter in the mail from her teacher telling her all about school and the activities she'll be a part of, I should have taken a picture of her face after I read her the letter, she was beaming.
A few weeks ago I attended a parent meeting to go over the school curriculum, parent involvement, fundraisers, and then it was my turn.  I'd asked the meeting coordinator (also parent educator) for about five minutes on the agenda and the time had come for me to share a little about us.  All of a sudden I welled up with tears and all I could say was, "I can't believe I'm sitting in an orientation for preschool."  I got myself together and told the other parents and teachers about Georgia, how she is so excited to come to school and that she has the immune strength of someone about half her age.  I told them that I knew she would get sick throughout the year but asked parents to pause when sending kids back to school after being sick, making sure they're ready.  The support I've felt has made me feel confident we chose the right school for Georgia.  I am excited to watch her learn and be involved with other kids in ways she never has before.  Her school is a co-op, so once a week I will be able to see it all unfolding.
There is certainly a part if me that's scared to send her to school, fear of germs has been so engrained in me, I'm working to let some of that go but certain things are hard to unlearn.  I am trying to stay focused on the fact that germs and sickness will happen, but that she has a healthy immune system to take care anything that comes her way.
Tonight before turning out the light we talked about going to school in the morning, the outfit you chose is ready to go and you told me that you knew parents would be in the class tomorrow but that I didn't need to stay... So to my amazingly bright, fun-loving, smart, miraculous daughter, go enjoy tomorrow, soak in every minute of fun, you'll only have your first day once, but there are many other days to come. I love you my girl, more than you'll ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment