Monday, August 1, 2011

Day +193.. the end of the line

No doubt about it, tomorrows procedure is a milestone in this process. I wouldn't say that I'm excited, it's always stressful when Georgia has to be sedated but I am cautiously optimistic, which is a term I would now use to describe my outlook on life. I remember when the doctors first told me that she would be getting a Hickman catheter, unfortunately it's something I was already familiar with as my mom had one at the end of her life. This line is where she's received all of her chemo, antibiotics when infections occurred, had blood draws, pain medications, countless infusions of platelets and some red blood cells but biggest of all it's how she received her new bone marrow. I was nervous when the nurses told me that when we were are home I would be the one maintaining it, this has become something of second nature to me but is a big task that I'm happy to give up. Georgia has been a rock star when it comes to her line, she's very curious about it but has never pulled on it - something we were told is common with kids her age. She is certainly aware that this thing that has been attached to her for half of her life doesn't belong there - I'm excited to see what she thinks when it's gone. Obviously there are a lot of reasons we're glad the line is going away... here are my top 10.


10. I won't miss the look on peoples faces when they see the line if Georgia's shirt is hanging low.. their faces go from ohh cute toddler to uhh don't know what to say.
9. My feisty daughter has taken to grabbing her lines and putting them inches away from her open mouth when I tell her no .. this, not to be out done by rubbing her hands on the ground and acting like she is going to put them in her mouth... I am so in for it!
8. Summer is here and we are getting a kiddy pool!!!!
7. Getting dressed is a challenge, Georgia has to wear a onsie to protect her lines.. I can't wait for t-shirts, dresses - anything we want to wear!
6. I won't have to do her once a week dressing changes, this is a sterile procedure which means holding very still and properly cleaning everything to avoid infection.
5. No more daily line flushing.. Georgia could practically do it herself now and likes to "wash, wash" her lines.. I will happily introduce a new, more "normal toddler" task!
4. I can't wait to be able to just throw Georgia in the bath.. no more wrapping each line and putting a Aquagard on all while making sure she doesn't splash too much and get water inside.
3. Having a central line means that you have an increased risk of infection, although getting her line out won't boost her immune system it certainly takes a big risk factor away.
2. Caring for her line is a lot of work and worry - more time and less worry.. yes please!
1. Getting Georgia's line out means we are moving forward and in this long journey progress is being made.





The line




Blue glove and all..




What is this thing anyway?




Do you know?






Bath time get-up


And the video says it all... she's a professional!












3 comments:

  1. Yay! A big day indeed! :) Can't wait to see pool pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo such a big step . . . I vote Georgia runs through the sprinkler when she gets home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO HAPPY for all of you! One less daily reminder of the "scary days" and now on to normal everyday toddler stuff!

    ReplyDelete